Wednesday, November 29, 2006

For sale: homepage

Some newspapers make you look at ads before you see some particular content, but Gannett's Wisconsin newspapers are going a step further and making you look at an ad before you even get to the homepage.

Some would question the ethics of this.

I would question the strategy behind it. It may make sense in the short-term to monetize Web traffic this way, but there's a big risk of turning eyeballs away by making them look at this first (or making them clip to skip it).

2 Comments:

Blogger tony palmeri said...

Miles,
Thanks for this post, though I question your choice to give Kohl's free advertising.
Gannett won't take any advice from me, but if they did I would tell them that one of the best ways for news sites to lose online readership is to throw this kind of mindless advertising in their face. --Tony

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I deleted my bookmark for the NW yesterday.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home